The Idaho Slayings

Trinity Edwards, Staff Writer

On November 13, 2022 the Moscow Idaho Police Department received a horrifying call at 11:58am from college roommates Dylan Mortensen and Bethany Funk stating their four roommates Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Xana Kernoodle, and her boyfriend Eathen Chapin had been murdered in their sleep.

The story went viral and everyone wanted to know who done it. 28-year-old Bryan Kohberger earned his bachelor’s in psychology and master’s degree in criminal justice at DeSales University in Center Valley, Pennsylvania. Kohberger is the prime suspect in the 4 gruesome Idaho slaying’s that accrued between 4-4:25 am on November 13th 2022, during the investigation detectives discovered the sheath of a knife collecting Kohberger’s DNA matching it to the same DNA found in the trash at his parents home back in Pennsylvania. The detectives also started tracking down Kohberger’s white Hyundai Elantra which was spotted near the victims home and seen circling around the home 12 times before the gruesome slaying had began. On December 30th 2022 the arrest for Bryan Kohberger was made at his family’s home in Pennsylvania but booked into the Latah County Jail until January 4th 2023 due a transportation issue.

The Idaho community came together to find out who the perpetrator was, the Moscow Police Department put out a tip hot line for the community to give out any information that they may or may not have know about. The police department  received thousands of tips from people all around the Moscow community, the only information the police did take was information from any type of psychic or mediums that wanted to help out with the case.

The remembered victim was 21-year-old Kaylee Goncalves, she was a student at the University Of Idaho, social media influencer, and entrepreneur. Kaylee was raised in Concorde, California along with her siblings, Kaylee love taking pictures of her family and friends.

The next remembered victim is 20-year-old Ethan Chapin. Ethan was born in Conway Washington, he was a triplet to his brother Hunter and his sister Maizie. Ethan was a lifelong athlete who loved the NFL and country music. He played on the basketball and tennis teams at Mount Vernon High School. Ethan’s family will always remember him as a “shinning light”.

The next remembered victim is 21-year-old Madison Mogen. Maddie is from Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. She was a senior at the University of Idaho majoring in marketing. She was also a member of the Pi Beta Phi sorority. Maddie was using her marketing skills to run a social media campaign for the restaurant. She loved the color pink and planned to move to Boise after graduating this spring. Maddie was also an only child.

The last remembered victim is 20-year-old Xana Kernoodle. Xana was born in Avondale, Ariz but moved to Post Falls, Xana was majoring in marketing, a member of the Pi Beta Phi sorority and loved her dog, Shoeshine. Xana will be remembered by her family for being “positive, funny and loved by everyone.” Xana attended Post Falls High School, she played volleyball, track and soccer until she graduated.

Too follow up more with the Moscow Idaho slaying you can click this link that will lead you to CNN.com to give you more information about their where about, the time stamps of the murdering, and about the court case with Bryan Kohberger.