Caring Counselor

Candy Noveron, Staff Writer

Meet Mrs. Briquelet, Counselor M-Z

By Keke Gibson and Candy Noveron

Mrs. Jill Briquelet, is one of our wonderful counselor’s here at Gilbert High School. She is amazing at what she does but, did you know she wasn’t always a counselor? Mrs. Briquelet went to UCLA and got her degree in Math and Economics. She then became a math teacher at the California Youth Authority, an all boys high school for incarcerated youth. She then had the opportunity to work with kids and not have to teach math. So she started her first year of counselor at Orange Coast College in 1998. Next she moved to Savanna in 1999. In 2004, she started at Oxford, part time. Later, in 2015, she got a Coca Cola  Educator of the year! How cool is that? Finally she joins us at Gilbert High School.

Mrs. Briquelet said “I love working with kids but, I didn’t love math. So as a counselor I can still work with kids without teaching just math. I also love helping them achieve bigger goals such as getting their diploma and getting into college.” How do I feel about being at Gilbert? “ I love it! I am happy to be here and happy to help students graduate.”  3 words of how I feel to be a counselor at Gilbert are rewarding, heartbreaking and motivational.

“I’ve learned that I love learning new things. “ I’ve learned that it is harder to get to know kids as a counselor than it is as a teacher.” Something that makes my job difficult to do at times, is having the responsibility of SO many kids at one time. “ I wish I didn’t have so many kids so I could focus on each individual more. “No, for now because I love being a counselor but, maybe in the future I can be a teacher.” So, Mrs. Briquelet loves being a counselor ,loves being here with us at Gilbert High School and we love her too. Let us welcome Mrs. Jill Briquelet to our school!

Are there any other new faces in our Gilbert staff? Find out in Gilbert Gladiators Times next article.