The Gladiator Times

The Student News Site of Gilbert High School

Breaking News
  • April 29Don't miss out on our final Student Resource Fair today during lunch at the Quad area. Come and explore a wide range of resources and grab some amazing freebies from our community partners
  • April 29If you missed our Prom Pop Up Friday, no worries! We will have a part 2 today during lunch at the Family Center so swing on by!
  • April 29Nominations for this year's Prom King & Queen have begun. Check your student Gmail for your nomination form
  • April 29Ropes Course Field Trip Is TOMORROW
  • April 29Soccer Game is Held in The Field Today During Lunch

The Gladiator Times

The Gladiator Times

Polls

Has your life been impacted in any way by smoking?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Peace Wall Mural

How Gilbert High School is Showcasing Peace

The Peace Wall Mural represents how Gilbert sees peace and how they interpret it.  It also represents peace and unity.  The mural sends a really important message.  The mural is being painted on the front of the school.  The mural should be done by the end of the school year.  This has been planned since last year and has finally been approved and started.  Personally, I think it makes Gilbert more colorful and welcoming.

How the making of the mural started was by having students draw what they believed or wanted peace to look like.  Students submitted their art work to their teachers, and the Ethnic Studies classes hosted an exhibit. The New York based group CITYarts consulted with Gilbert classes led by Ms. Frese, and helped with the process of creating the mural.  They are a non-profit organization and were founded in 1989.  Their mission is to create more public art to empower, educate,  and to connect with youth.  They want to hear the voices of our youth.

Gilbert then organized the hiring of a muralist, and Jaime Kough was selected to paint the mural.  She was even a former teacher here at Gilbert.  Students and staff picked out the top 10 student designs from the exhibit for the mural.  The ethnics studies classes had a big role creating the concept for the design that includes the original top ten pieces for peace.

The mural has seen a lot of progress so far.  The actual making of the physical mural started March 11th this year.  Jaime Kough is not only painting the mural but also including the students in the process.  She will be teaching them how to paint.  There is also construction going on around it.  Gilbert is experiencing the building of a new marquee.  I think this will be a really nice touch for Gilbert.  It will make the school look more lively.