The Gladiator Times

The Student News Site of Gilbert High School

Breaking News
  • April 26Have a Great Weekend!

The Gladiator Times

The Gladiator Times

Polls

Has your life been impacted in any way by smoking?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Gilbert High School Advocates For More School Sports

Could This Set a Precedent for More Continuation Schools?
Sports promote healthy students
Journalism staff
Sports promote healthy students

Pushing sports in continuation schools can have a positive impact on students’ physical and mental well-being. Firstly, participating in sports can promote a healthy lifestyle and help students develop good habits. Regular physical activity can improve cardiovascular health, build strength, and enhance overall fitness.

Secondly, sports can teach important life skills such as teamwork, perseverance, and discipline. By working together towards a common goal, students can learn how to collaborate, communicate effectively, and overcome challenges.

Lastly, sports can provide a sense of belonging and community. Being a part of a team can create a support system and foster friendships, which can be especially beneficial for students in continuation schools.

Overall, incorporating sports in continuation schools can contribute to the holistic development of students and create a positive environment for their growth.

Here are a few anonymous quotes from our very own student-athletes that we gathered after Gilbert’s first basketball game of the 2023-2024 season:

“Being able to play a sport at school makes me feel more at home and not different from the other schools.”

“The team gives me a family and people to lean on.”

“I feel great to get out here and do something I enjoy at school, I feel at home.”

“I love hanging out with my friends and having fun.”

This school year provided opportunities for both boys and girls to play soccer, basketball, and flag football. Students earned awards, and were highlighted in the announcements throughout the semesters. They competed with other continuation school teams, both home and away. Games were won, and games were lost, and through it all, players learned a lot.

Most recently, a basketball game between staff and students was held on campus. This is an annual tradition. The staff held on and won by one point. See more sports news next quarter in the Gladiator Times.

View Comments (1)