Project Soapbox Is Here With A Chance To Win 500 Dollars

Bryant Sandoval, Staff Writer

Every year, teachers around the country use Mikva’s project soapbox curriculum to help their students develop and deliver a two-minute persuasive speech answering the prompt What is the biggest issue facing your community, why is it important, and what should be done about it 

The program culminates in a citywide or regional event where young people give their speeches in front of local peers, community, and civic leaders.

Gilbert Talks is our annual Soapbox Speech competition and will be held on Tuesday, Mar 15, 2022 during Per. 3 in the MPR. Our students will speak about a community issue in which they want to see change. It is an exciting opportunity to be able to elevate our students’ voices. A panel of judges will choose a winner, who will go on to represent Gilbert in the district finals in April.

Do you want a  chance to win 500 dollars cash? OC Human Relations’ annual YouthSpeak Speech Contest is a county-wide search for the top human relations speech written and delivered by high school students. Contest Rules for this event are as follows:

The speech is to be between 300 and 400 words in length (or less than 2500 characters with spaces), must be the original work of the contestant and should be inspirational or motivational.  Please submit a printed, double-spaced version of your speech.

Please print your speech or essay on separate sheets of paper and attach to the entry form (available below). DO NOT write your name, school or identifying information on your speech page.

The entry form and speech or essay must be submitted to OC Human Relations by: Friday, March 18th, 2022 at 3:00PM

The top 3 finalists must live-deliver their speech on April 14th, 2022 at 5:00pm at the OC Human Relations’ monthly board meeting, in person or virtual. Winners will be notified after via phone call.

1st place winner is required to attend 1-2 official OC Human Relations event to recite their speech. Events to be determined with ample notice. 

https://www.ochumanrelations.org/programs/youth-and-education-programs/bridges/youthspeak/