Vanessa ! A Lot Like Me

Jesse Ochoa, Staff Writer

Written by Jesse Ochoa

Vanessa is the new social worker at Gilbert High School. She did not always want to be a social worker though. It just became her career over the years. She first got her bachelors from Cal State Fullerton where she double-majored in history and criminal justice. She then took two years off before she got into the MSW program in Cal State Long Beach. 

She was first an intern and had to get hours something similar to community service. She had to complete 3,200 hours of clinical services. Her first Internship was with Orange County Department of Education with Access. After she graduated, she worked at a non-profit in Long Beach. 

Vanessa then worked in home services and would go to her clients’ houses to provide therapy or family therapy for about an hour or more. She would also go to schools or meet her clients where they were at. It was not just in Long Beach. It was also in LA County.

Her jobs were in San Pedro, Torrance, Inglewood, Hawaiian Gardens and Lakewood for about two years. After working there she went to work for Social Services Agency of the County of Orange as a senior Social Worker. Her job was specialized family services, the cases were babies born positive for a toxicology report for drugs in their system. 

Her goal right now is to try to get her license. Vanessa says her job is not easy, there is exposure to a lot of eye opening things. She says, “Social work is a rewarding career but sometimes it’s not for everyone, it’s whatever your calling is.”                 

Edited By Saraphine Bralish

Vanessa is one of our fabulous social workers.