Just imagine it’s Graduation

Selena Quiroz

Listen up all of my graduating SENIORS, graduation is just around the corner. Are you guys excited for graduation day ? Mr. Dechene is doing meetings for the graduation speeches in room 29 this whole week. If you want to be the graduation speaker report to room 29 today at lunch. Imagine yourself standing on the stage wearing your cap and gown giving the graduation speech, what will you say? This is what I will say:

Good afternoon parents, teachers, family and friends, and most importantly CLASS OF 2019!! Wow, I can’t believe that we are gathered here today, celebrating our graduation. Today is such a special day for us, we’ve been waiting for this day and today has finally arrived.

Do you remember August 8, 2018? …our first day of our senior year, and the start of our last year in high school?  We have come such a long way to be here today. Wow senior year, that’s great isn’t it? Senior year might have been a stressful year for us but it was a year of accomplishment. I thought I was going to finish my senior year at my home school, but just thinking about that, i’m glad to say that I graduated from Gilbert high school, one of the best schools.

I never thought I’d get this far in life without the help of my parents. I want to thank my parents for everything they have done for me, thank you mom, I love you. I also want to thank my father even though he wasn’t by my side. Thank you poppa. My dad was never by my side not because he didn’t want to but because he was 1,882 miles away. I was just a little girl in elementry when my father was deported. The last time I saw my father was a few days before he got deported. I didn’t get the chance to hug my father not even say a goodbye. My fathers last words were, “ Te quiero mija, nunca olvides eso, pronto voy a regresar.” That was the last time I ever heard his voice.

High school, what can I say about High school? It all started as a roller coaster, you know, going slow and making it’s way to the top, getting ready to drop. As soon as it hit the top of the ride I knew I had to hold on tight and enjoy the ride. There was so many bumps and so many turns but all of those bumps and turns were my lessons. Lessons I done learned.

My freshmen year was the best year at the beginning but that all changed when I started getting into problems. I wouldn’t really show up to school, I mean just for two classes and after that I would just leave campus. Sophomore year was just a joke to me I was a bad kid always getting into trouble everyday. I even got suspended towards the end of the year. I always got kicked out of my classes. So I didn’t bother trying in school, because school wasn’t for me. Don’t get me wrong school is boring.

My junior year came the worst year for me. I had myriads of things going on junior year, things I couldn’t handle. Fall, October 2nd, 2017 of my Junior year was the day that I got the message… and the phone call about my father passing away. I couldn’t believe it, it all felt like a dream.  It felt as if my heart was being shredded to pieces, cut up, and thrown in the trash. Left to rot. It hurts a lot, emotionally and physically. I wish it was just a temporary nightmare. But, the sad truth ? It wasn’t, It was reality. My world collapsed that day.

At that very moment I knew It was all over for me, I knew I had to just give up in life. I mean there was nothing left for me. I felt as if I was nothing. At that point I wanted to drop out, what was the whole point in trying. I didn’t feel motivated to do anything anymore but one day, my favorite teacher gave me a little lecture and made me realize that I can do it. So I picked myself up and got my stuff together! I had realized that is not what my dad would want for me. I’m very happy to say that I didn’t give up and I kept going on with my life because I knew my daddy would want me to succeed in life.

And here I am today, senior year, time flies by so fast. One day we were just some little kids trying to get to class on time because it was our first year in high school, and now look at us all grown up ready for the real world. This was my year to shine, class of 2019, we made it. We made this year the most memorable year ever!! It’s sad to say that everything has come to an end, but like how the saying goes, “Don’t cry because it has come to an end be happy because its the start of something new.”  

As I sat down to type out these thoughts, I looked back at all the memories I made here at Gilbert high school and just laugh! I met lots of new people and the staff here are awesome! I made good memories and bad memories too. I shared laughs, smiles, and even tears.

Daddy I hope you can hear what I have to say. I love you so much and I miss you too. If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t be here right now standing on this stage wearing my cap and gown. Can you see me? Do I not look beautiful in my cap in gown. I know you’re watching me from above my little angel, and I hope that you are proud of your little girl for succeeding in school.  Mama, Papa lo logre, I FINALLY MADE IT!! I FREAKING DID IT, I did this for you momma and poppa. You guys deserve the whole entire world! I love you poppa, until we meet again.

Thank you to all the teachers that helped me get through my rough times and helped me pass my classes, you are appreciated. A very big THANK YOU to my favorite teacher and to Gilbert’s great security staff and I can’t forget my favorite social worker Manny, Thank you!!  You guys are awesome! So once again can we all please stand up and give it up for CLASS OF 2019!! This is just the beginning of our journey and the marathon continues….. THANK YOU.