How to earn extra credits at Gilbert High School

Kayli Pinaire, Staff writer

As students of Gilbert high school I think we can all agree that many of the students attending our school have quite uncommon or unconvention situations both in and out of school. Due to this many students are looking to earn credits quickly and efficiently to either get to where they need to be or graduate as soon as possible. Many students attending here have tried other forms of schooling such as independent studies, online school, or have attended multiple public schools in their highschool journey, so I’m here to answer, what is the most efficient way to earn credits and accel at Gilbert high school?

A common issue is ways you can keep up grade percentages even with a chaotic schedule. One thing many students struggle with is both reminders and finding time to complete work, which can be solved in multiple ways. You can start by figuring out what kind of environment you work best in. For example if you know you need general silence to work try finding times throughout the day in which you are able to access such an environment. You can stay in a classroom at lunch or afterschool, work during your commute, or set aside time in the day to complete work. You can also solve this by accessing an hourly planner in which to write times needed for classes and work as well as listing assignments.

If you are looking to bring up an individual grade, it is important to not be shy about asking your teacher about makeup or extra credit work. Most teachers are happy to work with students considering that in asking, you’re showing initiative and interest in your education.  

As of the question of ways to earn credits faster there are actually multiple ways you can. You can start by asking your counselor about enrolling in summer school, apex classes, or PE as an elective. Students have the option of independent PE to earn elective credits. Ask your teacher for the packet for individual PE and you can earn extra elective credits on top of what you get for the class through things such as walking during lunch, tracking your daily steps, or working out outside of class with an instructor’s signature.

Ultimately if you are struggling to either understand work or earn credits, ask for help. Not only are many teachers happy to help, but they can connect you to resources such as free online tutoring or may find a way to work with the individual student. You may even be able to find help in a fellow student to help with tutoring as any student graduating after 2020 needs community service hours and may be able to earn credit in tutoring peers.