Movie review “Silenced”

Rosa Morales, Staff Writer

The movie that I’ll be reviewing is a Korean movie called Silenced and its based on a true story.

This case that happened at a school for the deaf in 2005. it is based on events that took place at Gwangju Inhwa School.

Kang In-ho is a the newly appointed art teacher at the Benevolence Academy,A school or the deaf children in the fictional city of Mujin,North Jeolla Province. He a dark past, His wife committed suicide,and his sick daughter is under the care of his mother. He is excited to teach his new students, yet the children are aloof and distant, trying to avoid running into him as much as possible, In-ho does not give up trying to show the kids that he cares. When the students finally open up, In-ho faces the shocking and ugly truth about the school. The students have been secretly enduring physical and sexual abuse by the teachers and administration.

In-ho decides to fight for the children’s rights and expose the crimes being committed at the school and collaborates with human rights activist Seo Yoo-jin, but In-ho and Yoo-jin soon realize the schools principle and teachers, and even the police, prosecutors and churches in the community are actually trying to cover up the truth. The accused unhesitatingly lie and bribe their way to get very light partying, the lee brothers are last seen laughing that judge was so easy to pay off for a light sentence.

As park (one of the sexually offensive teachers)leaves the party and walks home , he bumps into min-su which is one of the victims along the way . Attempting to force the boy to come to his home to be r@ped once more, Park is shocked when Min-su stabs him in the side with a knife, having fallen into despair for  his  lost chance to put park away for good. Park brushes off the stabbing and smacks Min-su to the ground,viciously beating and kicking the boy, proclaiming he will kill him. As he prepares to finish Min-su off , park is overpowered by the boy,who flings both of them onto a nearby railroad track. As an oncoming train barrels toward them, the screaming park is held down by Min-su with the help of the stab wound. Ultimately,the train runs over both of them,with Min-su refusing to let the rapist escape with his sickening inhuman acts.

Later, In-ho , Yeondoo and Yoori are seen mourning Min-su’s death in a tent. A group pf protesters and activists are seen demonstrating, when police attempt t0 disperse them.However,since most are deaf-mute they continue unaware, forcing police toward forced dispersal using water cannons.As the clash plays out ,In-ho stands amid the chaos carrying a pictur of Min-su, repeatedly chanting,”Everyone! This boy could neither hear nor speak. This child is called Min-su,” before he apprehended by the police.the movie ends with the words of Yoon-jin’s email updating In-ho about the lost appeal and the improving children’s condition.

The worst thing about this movie is known that the prosecutor is the officers the  police were all on the people in charge aside they were all on the men side.Also they recorded the children’s!!

These children did not get justice!!!